Monday, November 16, 2009

Is it Christmas yet?

I would have thought that a school as closely monitored as Avondale would be extremely conscious of being politically correct. However, much to my surprise, the secretary sent out an email today asking teachers to donate any lightly used Christmas decorations to the school so that we can "bring Avondale into the Christmas spirit." That's right- CHRISTMAS, none of that generic "holiday" nonsense. I'm not going to tell on them. Especially not if they let me put Christmas lights on my cart.

I was observed this morning by the lady in charge of social studies for all DeKalb high schools. She took pictures of all sides of my cart. She also told me that my cart was ridiculous (but she said it in a bless-your-heart sort of way). She took a copy of the assignment I had given to the class and told me that she thought it was great and she could tell I was working really hard. Then she gave me a high five, looked at my cart again, shook her head, and said, "all this on a cart... and they gave you two different classes." I could be wrong, but I think she feels my pain... at least a little.

So, I was feeling pretty pleased with myself until I got to 3rd period. Per usual, the freshmen managed to dismantle all the pleasure that comes with any small victory from 1st period. I'm trying a new tactic for discipline with a few of them that the assistant principal recommended... but NO success so far. Meanwhile, they still think that Australia is a country in South America. (true story)

Quick update on the new co-teacher in 4th period World History: The kids hate him, and I believe the feeling is mutual. Their behavior and attitudes are actually worse now that they have a stricter teacher. He is so frustrated with their inability to remain silent for even a few seconds, that he told them they were like a "straight up special ed class." The sad thing is that he isn't exaggerating.

1 comment:

  1. I vote for the old fashioned bubble lights. They'll look right at home on your cart. 6 more days of stupidity til Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete