Monday, September 14, 2009

Other Observations

Most days after lunch, I get a little chuckle while I am standing at the door of my classroom, waiting for the students to come back in. One of my 4th period students has a motorized wheelchair and he rides past me on his way back from lunch. That’s not the funny part. What makes me smile is that he speeds, like really fast, back down the hall, and I love watching the other students having to jump out of the way to avoid being hit. Plus, he is always singing some rap song whenever he is moving quickly. Maybe you have to be there, but it is amusing.

I would rather have a cold classroom than a hot one. Of course, as a floater, I don’t have much control over the temperatures of my teaching environments. Still, most rooms are usually on the cooler side. The students, however, hate the cold. The “cool” thing now is to bring a fleece blanket, preferably with some cartoon character on it, into the room and bundle up like they are in a meat locker. So dramatic. We’ve had several arguments in 4th period over kids stealing other kids’ blankets. Some of them are probably legitimately cold, but for others it is just a fashion statement or, more likely, a way to hide a cell phone while they are texting.

Today was the third time I've had to call the discipline office because of a near-fight in my first period class. The bell rang for class to begin and while trying to quiet everybody down, I noticed the same 2 guys yelling at each other from across the room. I still couldn't understand what they were saying, but could tell by their inflection that things could get ugly. So, another call to the office and the Discipline Principal came down and took them both out of my class for 3 days. Honestly, I'd rather not see them in there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment