Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Plot Thickens

Well, we lost one. One of the new math teachers (new to Avondale, not brand new to teaching) quit yesterday. Apparently, she was so miserable that she called her husband, he told her she could quit, she packed up her stuff, and left. I heard all this from the Romanian World Language teacher who said that working at this school reminds her of living in Communist Russia. As sorry for myself as I feel, I fully acknowledge that the Math department has had it much worse (like a workshop last Saturday and constant visits from the county Math coach).

The funny thing is, now that one has left, the other teachers seem to be worried about me. I had a random teacher stop me in the hall and ask if she could do anything to help me, and then my department chair said, "You know we lost a teacher, right? You're not thinking that way are you?" I wonder why they think I might be next??? I guess I'm not the only one who noticed that I don't really belong in this setting.

Oh well. I'm not going to quit. Not in the middle of the semester anyway. I can't leave the kids halfway through. I still believe that I am there for a reason. I don't know how long that will be, but my responsibility is to my students. I don't blame the Math teacher for leaving. I just hope it will be a wake-up call for the administration.

No comments:

Post a Comment