Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Will Work for Coffee

So, today I got to proctor the PSAT. What age group? Freshmen, of course. I can't get a break. At first, I was a bit upset about the whole situation, especially since this 3+ hour test was preventing me, once again, from having my planning period to do some work. All was forgiven, however, when the Assistant Principal came by with coffee for all the proctors. I felt quite content for a few moments while I sipped on my coffee and watched the students work on math problems.

The hours of proctoring gave me a good opportunity to do one of my favorite things: people watch. Granted, these "people" were 21 mentally strained freshmen sitting in a cold classroom, but there wasn't much else to do, other than make sure their ovals were filled in completely. While they were all relatively quiet and focused, I got a chance to see them a little more individually rather than as a big, unruly group of kids. Several of those 9th graders are in my classes, and I found myself wondering: Why does this girl always look so sad? Why does this student always come in late? Why can't this boy ever stop talking? Why did this boy bleach his mohawk and then dye it red? Why does he even have a mohawk in the first place? Maybe the PSAT was a break that I needed. I know I needed the coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment