Monday, October 5, 2009

Teacher or Poster-Maker???

Last week, the principal sent out an email informing all the teachers of ALL of the required posters/bulletin boards/display boards that had to be up. The email was sent on Monday; everything had to be completed by Thursday morning. The email included phrases like "this is not a request," "if your room doesn't look like this, we have a serious problem," and, my personal favorite, "floating teachers are NOT an exception, just tape it to your cart." Not that this means anything to anyone who hasn't taught in public schools in the last few years, but this is the list of required "cart hangings."

1. instructional bulletin board for each subject taught (must be typed, includes the standard taught, the task, the rubric, the circumstance, a sample of student work, teacher commentary)

2. a complete lesson plan format for each subject taught (includes the sponge, standard, explanation, application, synthesis, homework, and essential question- updated daily)

3. a data wall demonstrating some subject related data from each class taught, must be a chart of some type

4. a word wall for each subject taught, must include the appropriate amount of words, words must be typed and the wall must be clearly labeled "word wall"

5. ALL the standards for each class taught must be fully displayed (for me, this is about 16 pages of text in 12 point font)

Our principal called these things the "5 non-negotiables." So, after weeping and gnashing my teeth, I started making posters for my cart. Please notice the photos I've included. Keep in mind that the students can only see one side of the cart at a time, they don't even look at the cart anyway, I wasn't working on actual lesson plans or teaching methods while I was working on my "non-negotiables," I can't see anything on my cart, which makes it impossible to conduct a class with ease as I constantly lift up posters to find my stapler, file a late paper, etc., and, I look ridiculous rolling my overly-postered cart down the hall.

7 comments:

  1. man-- those pie charts looks really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you left you cart standing still for two seconds in Ms. Velez's class and she covered it with posters. Bless you, and curse Dekalb. I hope they paid for all those posterboards. I laminated the standards and used a colored paper clip to mark which one we were on, but the kids kept stealing the paper clips. Imagine that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, those pie charts wouldn't be up there if kenneth wasn't the Excel professional that he is

    ReplyDelete
  4. The posters look excellent, and I am so very sorry you had to make all of those for your cart. I would just tape one on top of the other and rotate them...but I get mighty cranky over silly rules. Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful and valid way to spend your time. I hope I get to do something like it soon. In the meantime, please make sure your resume is on file in other counties :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read this and it made me giggle... only because I spent the good part of a day a week or two ago posting my standards, essential questions, and non-negotiables up in my room for 7 kids... most who cannot read, with moderate to severe intellectual disabilities. Quality use of our time! :)

    ReplyDelete