Wednesday, August 26, 2009

38 Hot

It's getting harder. I can't make the kids start studying and stop talking. Most of my freshmen all did miserably on their test today. I had students in 2 different classes tell me that I needed to be louder in order to get everyones' attention to make them stop talking. I tried it. It still didn't work. The primary effect of my talking louder was me almost throwing up after trying to give directions because I had been straining so hard to talk louder than the kids. Really not feeling like I'm the correct person for this job right about now...

So, I'll focus on something else. I learned some new vocabulary today. My big brother Ben has been asking me for some new vocabulary words since I started teaching at Avondale. This one's for you, Benny. The term: "38 hot" (adj.)

Here's the conversation where student #4 explained the meaning of "38 hot" to me.
#4: I'm 38 hot! Isn't that right Mrs. Camp? You know what that means?
me: Um, no. What does it mean?
#4: Like, really, really hot. You know what hot means?
me: Yeah, like good looking?
#4: No. Um, like when the police are chasing after you.
me: Oh, hot, like, stolen?
#4: Yeah, if you were in a stolen car you'd be 38 hot.
me: Ok, so it means highly sought after, wanted.
#4: Something like that.

There you go.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I love it!! My kids used to say "go hard" (I know) for someone who was really awesome or intense...Like a pro football player, for example..."He go hard, Mrs. D!"

    ReplyDelete