Friday, August 7, 2009

Premier DeKalb


Thursday was, by far, the most enjoyable day of pre-planning. Originally, I wasn't looking forward to the Professional Development day, especially when I found out I had to go all the way out to Stephenson High School from 8-4 that day to get "professionally developed" with all the middle and high school teachers from the county. But, the day started looking significantly better when my mentor teacher from my student teaching days at Chamblee emailed to see if I wanted to carpool with him and another Chamblee Social Studies teacher. So, not only did I not have to drive myself all the way out past Stone Mountain, I also got to catch up with some friends on the ride. The majority of the event was actually pretty good too. We got to select which sessions we wanted to attend. It surprised me how many people I know in DeKalb Social Studies. I ate lunch with the Chamblee High teachers, got hugs from the Dunwoody teachers, was able to catch up with some former classmates from GSU, and waved to some acquaintances from my days of subbing at Chamblee Middle. Too bad none of that had anything to do with Avondale....


Day 5 of pre-planning consisted of a yawn-invoking speech from the DeKalb superintendent, followed by a lot of running around and meetings. I have no idea if I'm ready for Monday. I am becoming more and more aware of the insufficiency of my own ability. I am only confident that the Lord placed me here for a reason and that He alone will get me through this year. And nothing will steal my joy...

No comments:

Post a Comment