Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Hands and Feet

First, I just want to say how thankful I am for the friends and family that the Lord has placed in my life. I've always been thankful for them, but the past few weeks have opened my eyes to just how precious these people are. My parents and Kenneth's parents have brought huge meals, played with Amos, and offered prayers, little notes, and lots of encouragement. Friends have called to check in, offer advice, and Lauren Haws hand-delivered a massive bag of peanut butter M&Ms. Calls from grandparents, texts from brothers, messages from cousins, and a letter from my sweet aunt have all reminded me that, as tough as this job seems, I'm really not doing it alone. Not to mention my near-perfect husband who has kept me from hyperventilating every night with long hugs and cherry coke. These people are an answer to prayer.

I tried a little classroom management tip from Rachel Hyder this week. I noticed one particular student, let's call him student #1, sleeping in my class and being slightly disruptive while he was awake last week. On Monday, for some unknown reason, student #1 stayed awake and was actually participating in class, even raising his hand to answer most of my questions. So after school, according to Rachel's advice, I called #1's mom and told her that I really appreciated his participation in my class. I told her that I know he is a football player and that I think he really has the ability to be a leader in the class and set a good example. She sounded appreciatively shocked. The next day, student #1 tapped me on the arm as he walked in and said, "Hey Mrs. Camp!" He has continued to participate and hasn't fallen asleep since. Thanks Rach!

One down, 89 to go.....

3 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! I'm so happy that it worked for you with this kid. I'm thinking about you EVERY day and wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad it worked for you! Happy Humpday...tomorrow's Happy Thursday...and then it's Fantastic Friday!!! Can I come plaster Avondale with Happy Thursday flyers?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an uplifting story! You're going to do great Mrs. Camp!

    ReplyDelete