Sunday, August 16, 2009

Observations

Kids these days...
I'm sure I'll have many observations to share in the coming months. This is just the first one that drew my attention. When I was in school, if I needed something from a teacher, I was expected to ask, "May I borrow a pen?" Or, "May I use the restroom." It wasn't really even acceptable to say, "Can I borrow" or, "Can I go," but the lenient teachers would let that slide. Well, my students have taken it a step further. If a student needs a pen, he says, "I can have that pen." If a student wants to use the restroom, she says, "I can go to the bathroom." I hear this statement-request form of asking permission multiple times a day. I'm considering correcting them, but it still throws me off so much when I hear it that I usually just respond with, "yes, you may."

The Michael Jackson sighting count has gone up to 6. And I've already lost count of the "Obama is our savior" references.

1 comment:

  1. I saw an Obama bumper sticker that simply said "I have a savior" the other day- I almost had to pull over!

    ReplyDelete