Saturday, August 22, 2009

Week 2

Week two is over, thank goodness. Now I'm hoping things will begin to settle into a routine, although there are still students being added to my rosters. I still have a ton of work to do at night and on the weekends, but at least now I have an idea of what I'm supposed to be doing. Also, I have now learned of all my students names (well, I know what they are, but there are still a couple that I'm not sure how to pronounce).


I also just learned that student #1 from my last post is the starting quarterback for the football team. Apparently there are a lot of 10th grade varsity football starters in my 4th block World History class. I guess the school isn't really big enough to have all of the first string be upper classmen.


I've discovered that there are several Canadian students who moved here over the summer. I've met at least 4 of them and teach 2 of them. They all play football as well. I'm not sure why they moved from Canada to Avondale.... socialized health care must be really unpleasant. One of my Canadian students was telling his classmates how difficult it is to understand them when they speak. He said that they all have accents and they run all their words together. Then he told me that I pronounce everything correctly and that he can always understand what I'm saying. He is now officially my favorite student because no one has ever complimented me on my ability to speak. He didn't even mention my lisp. Talking with him made me feel so much better than that time at day camp when my 1st grade campers asked what was wrong me and why I didn't talk correctly.


In other news, the administration decided that we were using too much paper, and decided to restrict us all to 4 packs of paper per semester. Well, we can use more if we buy our own. This is an interesting decision, considering that we are all required to provide each of our 90+ students with a syllabus, print out multiple copies of our weekly lesson plans, and they still don't have the computer/projection screens in the classrooms working, which would drastically reduce the amount of things we would have to copy and hand out. Premier DeKalb County Schools...

2 comments:

  1. Canadians are the best. You should put some Coffee Crisp bars on your desk and see what they do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Problem- I don't have a desk. Also, I don't know what coffee crisps are, but I'm pretty sure I would eat it before I had a chance to see what they would do.

    ReplyDelete