Monday, August 3, 2009

The Rest of the Story

So I learned a little more about the circumstances surrounding my reassignment while talking with my old department head from Dunwoody this afternoon. My assumption that I was transferred due to a drop in enrollment was wrong. I was replaced. By a basketball coach. Yeah.

However, I was comforted to learn that the DHS Social Studies department was upset to see me go, and that the department head even called the county to see if the principal really did have the authority to replace me just so they could hire a coach. Boo. They didn't even ask me if I wanted to be the head basketball coach- what were they thinking?!


Moving On................................................

Today was my first day as an AHS Blue Devil. Pre planning got started with a combo icebreaker/tribute to Michael Jackson. Do you know all seven #1 hits on MJ's Thriller album? Neither did I. I met my new department head who promptly informed me that AHS would be a "culture shock" for me. It was one of those moments where I felt like any response could be misinterpreted, so I just smiled.


I was thankful to be sitting next to another first year teacher and think I may have found a friend. I am sure this seating arrangement was not an accident, but an answer to prayer. I have also been befriended by an older African American gentleman, 2 years away from retirement, who has taken it upon himself to make sure I know what to do, who to talk to, the shortcut to the school, etc. It's nice to have someone looking out for me, although he did a poor job explaining why the Blue Devil's logo is a flying "A."


The entire day was one long training session. Apparently the DeKalb Superintendent wants all schools to pay more attention to discipline. The goal of the day was for the faculty to decide on 5 rules to post in all of our classrooms. We accomplished this mission in approximately 8 hours (including the Chick-fil-a lunch). The downside was that the program presenter from the county found it necessary to use me, the newest of the new teachers, in multiple role play examples. As if I needed something else to push me out of my comfort zone...
Here's my new home (except it is currently surrounded by fences and construction materials as they quickly prepare for DeKalb School for the Arts to move into a third of the building)

No comments:

Post a Comment